Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Light & Fluffy Mashed Potatoes


Personally, I have a great weakness for potatoes!  I have been  making mashed potatoes for years but can't seem to get it right.....until I found this recipe!  It is definitely a keeper.  It gives you a super soft, light, fluffy, lump-free and creamy mashed potatoes!   The first mouthful indeed puts a smile on my face.  Mmmmmm, so smooth!  I've also received a fair amount of compliments from friends and family members. 

I never know that the preparation requires quite a few techniques to be closely followed.  To me, this is a simple straightforward side dish to prepare - just boil, mash and flavour!  I was very wrong!  Little did I realize that I have overlooked some steps which appears to be very small insignificant but fairly important! 

I got the recipe from allrecipes.com, under the name Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes.

The Recipe:

Method:
  1. Place the potatoes into a large pot, and cover with salted water. 
  2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. 
  3. Drain, and return the potatoes to the pot. 
  4. Turn heat to high, and allow the potatoes to dry for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
  5. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher twice around the pot, then add the butter and milk. 
  6. Continue to mash until smooth and fluffy. 
  7. Whisk in the salt and black pepper until evenly distributed, about 15 seconds.
 
I am sharing the link below if you wish to view the video of how Chef John prepares the mashed potatoes.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment